I make a lot of salads for lunch for both myself and for my husband to take to work. I always want to make the process of making lunch easy and quick so that I don’t waste time I could be spending with my family or doing other fun things. That’s when I came up with this little number. Taco Tofu Add Ins. I use them in just about every salad!
I love making a big batch of these and just having in the fridge for whatever. They are so versatile and you could use them for just about anything you want. I have thrown them in tacos before, in enchiladas, and I have even eaten them by themselves just as a quick protein filled snack.
I love cooking with tofu because it basically just takes on whatever flavors you want to throw in it. In this case I use a taco flair with chili powder and paprika but you could really use up any spices you want. My absolute favorite thing for these is to throw them in a salad with some corn, black beans, onion and even some crunchy tortilla strips. Yummy and quick taco salad right at your finger tips.
The other thing I love about this recipe is that it lasts a good amount of time in the fridge. I would say no more than 2 weeks. Thats why I use 2 packs of tofu to make this recipe because I use it so much in so many of our meals. It is great to have on hand if you get into a bind and need something fast to pull together for a meal. You are more than welcome to use only one pack of tofu or even more than two packs if your heart desires.
So go and whip up some quick protein to have on hand for anything you might need it for!
Taco Tofu Add Ins
A quick protein to keep in the fridge and throw on salads or even just munch on as a snack.
- 2-14 oz extra firm or firm tofu
- 2 tbsp oil of your choice (olive, coconut, vegetable, etc.)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Drain the liquid from the tofu packs and press the tofu for about 30 minutes. I always use two clean, folded tea towels, place the tofu in the middle of them and place a cast iron pan on top of the towel. Anything heavy will do. You may need to adjust the heavy object from time to time because the tofu will compress a little and shift. The goal is to get as much liquid out of the tofu as possible.
- Dice up the tofu into small chunks. Add into large bowl.
- Throw in the spices and give a good mix until all pieces are coated well.
- Heat up oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Toss in the tofu pieces. Continue to mix and shake the pan until tofu pieces get a little crispness to them. About 10-15 min.
- Let cool, throw in a storage container and store in fridge. You can toss these on your salad as your main protein, re-heat and toss in a taco, or even just snack on for a healthy protein packed snack. These will last a maximum of 2 weeks in the fridge. Enjoy!